Our Focus Fund invests seed capital in tech-based companies led by female entrepreneurs and entrepreneurs of color throughout Ohio – as well as those willing to move to the state.
Focus Fund investments typically start at $250,000 for early-stage companies who can leverage capital and IP/technology to achieve transformational growth in one of the following technology sectors:
- Medical Technology
- Software Applications
- Advanced Materials
- Aero Propulsion Power Management
- Fuel Cells / Energy Storage
- Sensing / Automation Technologies
- Situational Awareness / Surveillance Systems
- Solar photovoltaics
Entrepreneurs receiving investment are also paired with an experienced Venture Partner.
Here are the characteristics we and other investors look for in companies and their leaders:
- Unique/breakthrough idea with barrier to entry (proprietary, patentable technology or, if service business, “secret sauce”)
- Large ($1B) addressable market. (JumpStart reserves the right to consider and invest in companies where the addressable market is less than $1B, provided that the company is well-positioned to achieve a “quick exit” within 4-5 years of an initial investment.)
- Entrepreneurs who are flexible, demonstrate excellence in all that they do, have skin in the game and have high growth ambitions. Marketing and sales skills in launching new technologies into new markets are particularly valued.
- Exit potential. Entrepreneurs must demonstrate how they plan to position the company to be acquired or, possibly, achieve an initial public offering.
To qualify for an investment from the Focus Fund, companies must be minority and/or female-owned/-led and either located in Ohio, or willing to relocate to Ohio.