Monday, November 09, 2009
Posted by Darrin Redus
This coming December 3rd marks a very pivotal day in our region’s ongoing economic growth and development. For over three years now I have referenced our regional and national collaboration efforts in working with some of the best and brightest professionals and investors across the country that are dedicated to assisting and investing in high growth minority, women, and inner city based businesses. I am delighted to share that these organizations have partnered with JumpStart to put on what will truly be a groundbreaking event for entrepreneurs and entrepreneurial stakeholders across the region and beyond. These same organizations have been responsible for growing some of our nation’s largest and most successful diverse businesses over the past decade, and currently play a direct role in shaping Urban policy for the Obama Administration. The Initiative for a Competitive Inner City (ICIC), The Marathon Club, and The Institute for Entrepreneurial Thinking are partnering with JumpStart and a cast of other regional and national partners to put on: Transforming the Landscape of Business In America: A Minority Business Early-Stage Capital Summit. This one of a kind summit in Northeast Ohio will feature the following:
A special presentation by ICIC -- the national non-profit founded by renowned Harvard Economist Dr. Michael Porter, in addressing the critical role that inner city and diverse businesses play in shaping our nation’s economy, and the disproportionate impact these firms play in creating jobs and wealth for minority populations
- An Entrepreneurs Panel (Moderated by our very own April Miller Boise of Thompson Hine) -- Minority equity-backed entrepreneurs will speak to their experiences in successfully raising equity capital, and address the myths, misconceptions, and realties of working with Angel, Venture & Private Equity firms
- An Investors Panel (Moderated by the President of The Marathon Club, Carmen Ortiz-McGhee) -- Minority and Inner City focused Equity Funds from across the country speak to their specific investment criteria; the “do’s and don’ts” when raising capital; the emerging trends and industries attracting investment, etc.
- A Luncheon with Keynote -- Dr. William Pickard, who successfully runs one of the largest minority enterprises in the nation, will deliver the keynote address. Dr. Pickard’s holdings include, but are not limited to:
- Owning several automotive companies located in five states and Canada
- Holding a significant ownership stake in five African-American newspapers including the 100-year-old Chicago Defender and the 77-year-old Michigan Chronicle
- Owning multiple McDonald's restaurants
- Organized the Detroit Partners who are the local partners in the Detroit MGM Grand Casino
- Serving as a Professor of Urban Entrepreneurship in Academia
- A Minority Angel Investors Panel (Moderated by the Founder & President of The Institute For Entrepreneurial Thinking, Melvin Gravely II, Ph.D.) -- Successful angel investors speak to the benefits of early-stage investing as a wealth creation strategy, encourage more minorities to become angel investors, and address the critical need to have more minorities investing in high growth minority businesses
- An Entrepreneurial Showcase –- Some of the most promising early-stage minority businesses that have been working with JumpStart over the past few years give their investor presentations to attendees to provide a snapshot of some of our region’s largest minority-owned firms of tomorrow.
Wow! I don’t think I can fully capture my enthusiasm and sense of progress for our region as we continue to work towards economic empowerment for all of our region’s citizens, but suffice it to say that this is something you truly do not want to miss. In case you’re wondering whether or not this event is for you, consider the following points concerning who should attend:
In short, there is clearly something for every stakeholder of entrepreneurship! This will be a one of a kind event in Northeast Ohio and space will be limited so I encourage you to register today!
Darrin is Chief Economic Inclusion Officer of JumpStart and President of JumpStart Inclusion Advisors. He founded and ran his own strategic planning and management assistance firm and spent 16 years in the commercial banking and finance industry. Darrin has an MBA from Baldwin Wallace College and an undergraduate degree from Mount Union College. He has led a series of workshops and seminars on matters of economic development and diversity.